What is the Fraxel laser?
The Fraxel Restore Dual® laser is a 3rd generation Fraxel laser that is able to precisely target microscopic areas of the skin, using focused laser columns to remove old, damaged skin cells, penetrating beyond the skin’s surface. Fraxel treatment stimulates the body’s own natural healing process which replaces damaged skin with fresh, glowing, healthy skin. The new dual mode with the thulium laser component allows for enhanced effectiveness for fading unwanted brown spots and other pigment abnormalities.
The new dual mode with the thulium laser component allows for enhanced effectiveness for fading unwanted brown spots, stretch marks, and other pigment abnormalities.
What does the Fraxel treat?
The Fraxel can treat age and sun spots, acne scars, melasma, surgery scars, wrinkles, crow’s feet, and sun damaged skin.
How does Fraxel work?
Fractional laser resurfacing is a type of skin rejuvenation that treats small areas of the skin, leaving other areas of the skin untouched. Because of this unique “fractional” process, the skin is able to heal much faster than if the entire area were treated at once. The body produces collagen to replace the targeted skin, resulting in more youthful, smoother, and healthier appearing skin.
How long will it take and what about downtime?
The procedure can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour depending on the areas being treated. The procedure is performed under a local anesthetic. Your skin will appear slightly pinkish and swollen for several days after the procedure. However, most people find that they can return to their regular activities in 1-2 days.
When will the results be noticeable?
Patients experience an immediate improvement during treatment associated with the laser heating their skin. The collagen contracts making the skin appear immediately tighter. However, the final results related to new collagen production takes approximately 8-12 weeks. You will continue to see improvements skin for the first three to four months following treatment.
What are the risks/side effects?
Some of the side effects and complications that may occur after aggressive or high level treatments include:
- Excessive scaling, peeling, and some crusting
- Swelling for up to one week after treatment – this can be helped by applying an ice pack at 10-minute intervals for the first 24 hours.
- Post procedure color changes (more common in patients of darker skin types)
How many treatments does it take?
Everyone’s skin is different, but clinical studies suggest that for most people, maximum results are obtained in 3-6 treatments.
Is there any pretreatment to the skin?
There is no pretreatment in advance of the laser treatment unless you are advised otherwise. Your skin should be cleaned to remove any makeup before the procedure. A topical anesthetic cream is applied in the office 60 minutes prior to treatment.
- Arrive 1 hour before treatment for topical anesthetic application.
- Take all prescribed medications, like Valtrex, the morning of the procedure.
Post-Laser Wound care
- Apply ice packs as needed. There will be a sunburn sensation for about an hour after the treatment
- Use sunblock at all times.
- Use gentle moisturizers and cleansers and avoid retinoids and glycolic acids for one week. You should moisturize as much as needed.
- If the thulium laser was used, then apply Aquaphor to the treated areas at least 3 times /day until the peeling has subsided.
- Sleep with head elevated for the first two nights to decrease swelling.
For emergencies at night or during the weekend, call (314) 878-3839, leave a message and the doctor will contact you shortly thereafter.
*Results may vary per patient.