Do you have unwanted hair? Laser hair removal is the solution!
The LightSheer DUET® is a diode laser that removes unwanted hair with greater speed and comfort than other methods. LightSheer diode lasers are widely recognized as the ‘gold standard’ for laser hair removal and reduction across the broadest patient population. The new treatment window enables us at Laser & Dermatologic Surgery Center in Chesterfield near St. Louis to treat larger areas (i.e. backs and legs) comfortably in about 15-20 minutes without topical anesthetics.
How Laser Hair Removal works:
The LightSheer DUET® system generates highly concentrated laser energy through a cooled handpiece placed on your skin. The pigment found in hair follicles absorbs the laser energy. The laser pulses for a fraction of a second, allowing the hair to absorb the light and heat up. As it heats up, the hair shaft and bulb are damaged. Since the treatment depends on hair pigment, it is not possible to treat white, grey, platinum blond or very light shades of hair by laser. The Laser & Dermatologic Surgery Center offers waxing to address this need.
- Blisters or scabs
- Skin lightening/darkening, but will generally return to normal
- Increased adjacent hair growth
Is there any downtime?
Normal activities can be resumed immediately after your laser hair removal treatment at our St. Louis office. Most patients have pink, slightly bumpy skin in the treated area for several minutes to hours after LightSheer DUET® treatment. We advise using sunscreen on any treated areas that may be exposed to the sun.
When will I see results?
Within two to three weeks after the laser hair removal procedure the body will be exfoliating the dead hairs (can initially look like stubble). While complete elimination of all hair is not possible, the majority of patients report thinner, sparser, and slower regrowth of hair after a series of laser treatments.
Want to read more about LaserSheer DUET®, a laser hair removal treatment? Visit Laser & Dermatologic Surgery Center’s blog here.
- Do not use aspirin or aspirin containing medications for at least 2 weeks before treatment. Do not take Advil or ibuprofen-containing medications for 3 days before treatment. Tylenol is an acceptable alternative if pain medication is needed. Aspirin increases the risk of bruising at the treatment site.
- The treatment area has to be free of any tan. Sun avoidance and the use of sun blocks at least six weeks before treatment is recommended as a suntan increases the risk of side effects and decreases the effectiveness of treatment.
- Avoid waxing, electrolysis and plucking of the hairs for 4-6 weeks before treatment, as the laser needs to have a hair in the hair follicle in order for the treatment to be effective.
- Shaving, bleaching, and the use of chemical depilatories is acceptable in the 6 weeks before treatment.
- Shave the hair in the proposed treatment area on the morning of the laser treatment.
- If you have a history of cold sores near the area to be treated, you may be prescribed a medication to prevent a cold sore from developing. Take the prescription as recommended.
- Return to normal activities right away.
- No special wound care is usually needed Ice packs during the first few hours may provide relief from any residual stinging/burning that you may experience.
- If significant blistering and/or scabbing develops, apply a thin coat of Aquaphor Healing Ointment to the scabs twice-a-day. Do not pick off any scabs that may form. Let them separate on their own. Please call our office if you experience these symptoms.
- It may take a week or more for the hair to be shed. During this time it may appear that the hair is still growing. For patients receiving the RFL treatment, it may take 2-4 weeks for the hair to be shed.
- The laser treatments are most effective when hair is in the early part of its growth cycle. Therefore, the best time for repeat treatments is soon after the hair has started to grow back. The average is 6-12 weeks between treatments.
For emergencies at night or during the weekend, call (314) 878-3839, leave a message and the doctor will contact you shortly thereafter.
Laser Hair Removal FAQs
Does the LightSheer DUET® laser treatment hurt?
There is some discomfort during treatment depending on the area, but a cold gel is applied to the area and the treatment tip is cool.
How many treatments are required for laser hair removal?
The average number of laser hair removal treatments for hair reduction is about 6.
Can all hair colors and skin types be treated with laser hair removal?
Only dark hairs can be treated with laser hair removal. The LightSheer DUET® is not safe for dark skin types.
Is laser hair removal treatment safe?
Hair removal is very safe. However, with any laser treatment, side effects can occur although rare.
Is LightSheer DUET® laser treatment permanent?
Laser hair removal provides a permanent reduction in the hairs and occasional maintenance treatments may be required.
Contact Laser & Dermatologic Surgery Center today to schedule your treatment with us in St. Louis, MO.