The proteins Collagen and Elastin play a very important role in keeping your skin firm and young looking. They are popular cosmetic dermatology terms that are bandied about, but not many people know what they are and the differences between them. Read on to learn about these two amazing proteins.
- Collagen is an abundant protein found in your hair, nails, skin, tendons, muscles and other parts of your body. It is an important component of your body’s connective tissue. Collagen helps your skin stay smooth and firm. It also aids in the formation of new skin cells and keeps harmful toxins at bay.
- Elastin is a protein that keeps your skin younger by keeping it flexible and elastic which helps counter the effects of gravity on your skin. There is less elastin in your body than collagen, but they work together to keep your skin looking young.
Your body has less and makes less of these critical proteins as you age, and, as a result, your skin becomes thin and loose – it damages more easily and is more susceptible to the effects of gravity. Fine lines, wrinkles, jowls and even double chins are the result. It’s impossible to stop Father Time, but there are some things you can do to protect the collagen and elastin in your body and keep your skin looking young for as long as possible.
• Avoid UV and UVB sun damage
• Eat a balanced diet and avoid sweets and carbonated beverages
• Stop smoking
• REPLENISH YOUR COLLAGEN – We offer a number of cosmetic treatments that can counter the effects of aging. Some of our most popular dermal fillers, such as Juvederm®, use substances to restore lost volume to your face and smooth your skin. Others, such as Radiesse®, stimulate your body’s production of collagen, for natural, and long-lasting results.
Hey, St. Louis…Spring is just around the corner! Call for a consultation, today, to learn more about the many anti-aging, cosmetic procedures we offer: (314) 878-3839.