For hundreds of years, humans have searched for the Fountain of Youth – alas, to no avail. Growing older is inevitable, yet even today we continue to look for ways to mask its effect. At the Laser & Dermatologic Surgery Center we offer many aesthetic, cosmetic and surgical procedures to ease yourself into aging. However, there are additional things you can do to maintain a refreshing, healthy, youthful glow. Here are five of them:
- Take that sunscreen out and slather it on. Be it snow or sun, the number one skin care go-to is a good sunscreen. Ideally, choose one with an SPF of 30 that protects from the harmful effects of both UVA and UVB rays. And don’t forget your neck and hands.
- Eat foods with Omega-3s – the essential fatty acids that help form healthy cells – the very cells that are responsible for making your skin supple and flexible. Omega-3s can be found in tuna, salmon, kale, winter squash and walnuts.
- Cut back on your alcohol consumption. Drinking too much alcohol can affect your overall health and can wreak havoc on your complexion. Alcohol dilates the tiny blood vessels on the surface of your skin, increasing blood flow to that area. Alcohol also stresses your liver which can make your skin appear sallow.
- Quit smoking. Like alcohol, smoking is harmful to your health, but the nicotine in cigarettes can also reduce elastin and collagen production in your skin, promoting a wrinkly, aged appearance. Smoking can also deplete Vitamin C production, essential for keeping your skin plump.
- Last but not least, don’t be afraid to seek cosmetic help – it’s the closest thing we have to that elusive fountain. Botox® injections, for example, are a safe and effective procedure for treating fine lines and wrinkles – and they can be done in our office during your lunch hour.